It’s officially 2014. Resolutions have been made, goals have been set, and today is the day they all begin. Tomorrow is today. To be quite honest though, I’ve never been big on New Year’s Resolutions, as I find that if I really wanted to change something, I shouldn’t have to wait for a Monday, or the first of the month, or a new year. While day turns into night and back into day, I believe that time is man made idea, so your new year could start whenever you feel like it… Anyways, whether it’s a new year, a new day, or a new hour, I hope that everyone who has made resolutions, or has accepted a challenge of sorts, begins on a high note today and sticks to their word.
While I have no “resolutions” that will be set into motion, I do have some plans for the new year…
Jill from Fitness, Health, and Happiness is hosting 14 in 2014, a challenge to run 14 races in 2014. These can be any kind of race from 5ks to Ultra Marathons, virtual races even count. So far I am signed up for 4 races this year already, and the 14 in 2014 hosts 4 Free Virtual Races during the year, so that gives me 8 races already. I also have ideas/plans for what the other 6 races will be. I’ll be running the 14 in 2014 Combination goal. There are even sponsors and prizes to be won! Here are the details straight from Jill’s blog:
- Pick a goal (5K, 10K, Half, Full, Combination, Trails) and sign up.
- Run 14 registered virtual or real life races in 2014.
- The number of participants will not be limited.
- Prizes throughout the year. Hint: Some of my favorite running and fitness products!
- We will have a 14 in 2014 Facebook group to support and encourage each other and share the experience.
- To support everyone reaching their goal Jen and I will host 4 virtual races throughout the year.
- Share with Instagram and Twitter using the #14in2014 hashtag.
JOIN THE 14 in 2014 Challenge and race 14+ races with me! So far the community that has been established has been so supportive, and we hadn’t even started racing yet.
Run This Year (2014) is a free running community that challenges and inspires you to run as many miles as you can in one year! Run This Year is for anyone who strives to run all year and maybe even run the year in miles or kilometers!
I am taking on the challenge to run the year (2014) in kilometers. This equals out to about 1251.4 miles. In order to to this I basically need to run 24 miles a week or roughly 3.5 miles a day. Here is three different sample weeks (a “spread it out week,” a “weekend high” mileage week, or a “run to rest” week) for how this might work…
Go register to Run This Year! You can pledge to run 2014 miles, 2014 kilometers, or challenge yourself to whatever number of miles you want to run in 2014. This challenge allows you to log your miles daily, weekly, monthly, and will keep track of them for you. There are also lots of prizes to be won here too!
So now that you know what I am challenging myself to, I have no excuse but to get outside and start running. As for my races? Here’s what’s on my agenda for the year.
2014 (already registered) Races:
- January 4, 2014 – Tidewater Striders Distance Series Race #1, 10 miler
- January 25, 2014 – Tidewater Striders Distance Series Race #2, 15 miler
- February 22, 2014 – Tidewater Striders Distance Series Race #3, 20 miler
- November 15, 2014 – Richmond Marathon
2014 Virtual Races:
- 14 in 2014 Virtual Races (4 races) (FREE)
- Licorice and Olives Virtual 5k Race Series (1 per month, 12 races) (FREE)
2014 Prospective Races:
- February 15, 2014 – VA is for Lovers 14k
- Sometime in April – I need to find a 5k to do in April, Trae promised he’d run a race with me for my birthday!
- April 12, 2014 – Dismal Swamp Stomp Half Marathon
- May 4, 2014 – Flying Pirate Half Marathon, Outer Banks
- October 12, 2014 – Charlottesville Classic Half Marathon
There is lots of running to be had in 2014!! I am definitely excited and can’t wait to tell you all about my race this weekend.
Tell me about your running, racing, and 2014 challenges!!!
What are you most looking forward to in 2014?