*Side note: I promise there won’t be a ton ofcooking/recipes on this blog, unless of course the people who are reading enjoy them… please let me know if you do…this post was just too easy to not post.*
I was eating dinner last night thinking about what my next blog post would be. What can I say, I am very excited about this blogging thing… Lo and behold, my next blog post was sitting on my plate…my favorite meal of all time, which can actually be quite the well-rounded supper. It can also be made in a healthy version and a not so healthy version, depending on toppings and ingredient choices.
This is a favorite meal of mine because it is low maintenance, healthy, and the pickiest of eaters (like me) can pile on…or leave off…whatever they choose…It’s a favorite of my family and my boyfriend as well. Even the leftovers taste delicious! It freezes nicely too!
- 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (depending on how many are eating, and how big their appetites are)
- 1 large jar of salsa (mild, medium, hot, whatever your palette desires) – Not as healthy option: Tostitos Restaurant Style Salsa Healthy Option: Green Mountain Gringo Salsa (found at Whole Foods, dairy free, gluten free, low sodium, sugar conscious, vegan, vegetarian, kosher)
- Whole Wheat Tortillas (for tacos) or Tortilla chips (for nachos)
- Toppings: low-fat cheese, shredded lettuce, corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocados, pepper assortment
- Pour jar of salsa into crock pot.
- Fill jar halfway with water and add to crock pot.
- Add chicken breasts to crock pot and make sure they are submerged.
- Put crockpot on low.
- Let sit for 6-7 hours. Test the chicken. If it shreds easily, it is ready to eat. If it is still rubbery feeling or hard to pull apart, let it cook for awhile longer.
- Once chicken is cooked, shred with two forks. I prefer very shredded, but this is up to you.
- Use toppings to create tacos, taco salad, nachos, etc.
Like I mentioned above, I am a super picky eater. Therefore, my tacos are usually very plain. I will add corn and black beans to mine, I just neglected to make them this time. I also decided to take the less healthy option tonight too… oops! Planning on a 6-mile run in the morning, so all will be well.
Hope you can try this crock-pot salsa chicken! Let me know your thoughts, any additions you tried and loved, or any suggestions you might have.